Venipedia®

9 things to read today

Saint Paul field view — (Venipedia/Bazzmann)

Campo San Polo

The field was dedicated to San Paolo or Polo according to the Venetian wording. In this place the market was held, which used to last more than a week, only to be reduced to Wednesday only and after the fall of the...

Scuola Grande of San Fantin.

Scuola Grande di San Fantin

The origins of the school are not known precisely, but the school dates back to 1471, the year in which two confraternities took up residence: that of San Gerolamo and that of Santa Maria della Giustizia (Mariegola ‘...

Peggy Guggenheim Collection Library

The library of the Peggy Guggenheim Collection was born with the bequest of several thousand books by Peggy Guggenheim, mostly exhibition catalogs. Since then, the book heritage has grown continuously thanks to the...

How to reverse global wildlife declines by 2050

Species are going extinct at an unprecedented rate. Wildlife populations have fallen by more than two-thirds over the last 50 years, according to a new report from the World Wildlife Fund. The...

The producer Leland Hayward with the actor Jimmy Sterar in the film "The spirit of Saint Louis"

International Film Exhibition

After 37 years from the launch of the International Art Exhibition, in 1932 the Biennale presented the first film festival ever to be held in the world: the International Film Festival. Better known as the Film...

Engraving depicting the doge Marino Grimani

Grimani Marino

He was 63 years old when he came to office (born on the 1st of July 1532) and had a beautiful wife, Morosina Morosini.  He was loved by the people, had a flawless cursus honorum in which he had been ambassador...

The Bridge of Sighs seen from the side of the Schiavoni.

Ponte dei Sospiri

Towards the end of the 16th century, precisely in 1589, the Senate of the Republic approved the construction of a new building to be used as a prison, which was located on the other side of the Doge's Palace canal....

The processing of the Murano glass.

Museo del Vetro

The Murano Glass Museum was founded in 1861 by the Abbot Vincenzo Zanetti and the First Deputy of the Municipality, Antonio Colleoni. The project aimed to establish an archive in which all the examples illustrating the...

Church of San Marcuola

Popular belief believes that the church of Saints Ermagora and Fortunato, transformed into "San Marcuola" in the Venetian dialect, was built on an island called Lemeneo between the 9th and 10th centuries by some...